zSharp is a nonprofit that hires music teachers to provide
comprehensive, in-school music education to over 7,600 children in Bay Area elementary
schools who would not otherwise be exposed to music in a formal setting. Our music
classes are completely integrated into the school day, reinforcing other academic activities.
zSharp music teachers are embedded in one or two schools, teaching weekly music classes
coordinated with the school’s regular teachers to ensure that music class reinforces other
lesson plans. As such, zSharp music teachers are ready and able to serve as faculty
members at their school(s) and interact with their colleagues accordingly.
We’re currently hiring for the following positions. Click on a job title to jump to its job description:
Board of Directors
Board of Directors
zSharp provides high quality music teachers to Bay Area schools that would otherwise have no formal music education. Our comprehensive, in-school music program currently reaches over 4,000 low-income children in Richmond and Oakland. Our music classes are completely integrated into the school day and curriculum, complementing other academic activities. zSharp provides every child at these schools with at least one music class a week for the entire school year.
We are currently seeking passionate board members to join the zSharp team! As thought partners with the Executive Director, the Board of Directors provides guidance to the overall direction of zSharp and ensure the overall health and wellbeing of the organization.
- Advocate to the greater community for zSharp’s mission, vision, and programs.Ensure the financial support of the organization and actively engage in fundraising activities, including personal financial contribution (recommended $1,000 give/get), solicitation of other individuals, and assisting with the solicitation of corporations and foundations.Identify local, regional, and national trends and best-practices for leadership development related to nonprofit and education fields.
- Recruit new Board members as needed.
- 5-10 hours per month, where applicable
- Ongoing participation in one committee, as needed
Benefits and Rights:
- Directly impacting the students that zSharp serves.
- Extending your circle of contacts and developing new business opportunities.
- Hands-on participation in helping zSharp achieve heightened levels of success.
- Directly assist in advancing social / nonprofit sector leadership development.
- Become more widely known to the larger communities of practitioners and consumers.
- Official recognition online and at zSharp events.
To apply, please email a short letter of introduction to zSharp's Executive Director, Kim Kays at kkays (at) zsharp (dot) org
TK-6 General Music Teacher
zSharp makes music a part of every child’s education. We place high quality music teachers in Bay Area schools to provide comprehensive, in-school music education to thousands of children who would not otherwise be exposed to music in a formal setting.
We’re currently hiring Music Teachers for the 2017 - 2018 school year, primarily in Oakland and Richmond.
Applicants should possess a strong passion for bringing quality music education to diverse student populations. Music teachers will be embedded in one to two schools, teaching weekly music classes to grades ranging from TK-6. zSharp music teachers fully integrate into each of our partner schools and should be ready and able to serve as full members of each school’s learning community. General Music Teachers do not need to have a teaching credential but should have some classroom experience and a passion for teaching!
- Teach sequential weekly music classes (30 - 45 minutes)
- Create standards-based lesson plans using zSharp benchmarks and resources
- Collaborate monthly with Program Director and other zSharp staff on instructional practices, lesson planning, assessments, behavior management, etc.
- Attend regular Professional Development sessions
- Organize and present school-wide student performances (at least two concerts per year)
- Mastery of and enthusiasm for music education
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Strong classroom management and lesson planning skills
- Knowledge of California and Common Core standards and ability to integrate into a curriculum
- Experience in preparing students for concerts and performances
- Evidence of self-motivation and willingness to be a team player
- Experience working with general music and choral classes
- Ability to provide own transportation to site schools in Richmond and/or Oakland
- Master’s degree
- California Credential
- Bilingual in Spanish/English
- At least 2 years of classroom teaching experience
- Proven track-record of high achievement in the classroom
- Knowledge of Orff and Kodaly methods desirable, willingness to train for them as necessary
- Knowledge of Responsive Classroom, restorative justice, and culturally responsive teaching practices
zSharp provides internal professional development, support, and training to all teachers through observations, coaching, and ongoing support. Our teachers have access to a community of fellow music educators as well as a vast resource library, scope and sequence, and curricular materials.
All teachers are W-2 employees. zSharp provides health insurance for full-time teachers, professional development stipends and performance bonuses, and a modest discretionary budget for purchasing additional instruments and supplies.
How to Apply:
Interested and highly qualified applicants should forward their resume, cover letter, and 3 references to Program Director, Sonya Harway - sharway (at) zsharp (dot) org.
Thank you for your interest!
Thanks for your interest!